Post # 23 ~ The Monster Horned Elephant in the Lower Regions

Henry L. Jeffers Pondered His Troubles
~ From His Lonely Couch ~

Somehow, I think Henry bowled right through that attack on his reputation by designing persons. But there was another enemy not so easily dealt with. Debt became a creeping foe to H. L. Jeffers. The causes for  his growing trouble with debts were complicated; then, as now, debt was a familiar risk for entrepreneurs. Suffice it to say, starting with his large losses after the Great Freshet of 1840, and pushed forward by his enthusiasm for newer and bigger enterprises, he went into debt, and then struggled to get out. A serious situation occurred in 1854, which I don't really understand yet, but seems to have resulted when someone working for him in a new corporate alliance (Chambers, Jeffers & Co.) drew an enormous bank note and signed it in the name of the company; and then the responsibility fell on the senior partner in charge.

All Henry Jeffers’ communications that I have seen kept up a strong and self-confident face to the world. All the reactions toward him from other people - family, friends, and business colleagues - tell me he was trusted. But I can get a closer glimpse of how he felt inwardly. 


Henry's fears.

In the collection of letters that I have, there is one written by Henry L. Jeffers to his wife Eliza in 1863.
At this point the war was dragging on, H. L. Jeffers worked most of each year in Charleston, his sons were away in a terrible war, and his wife and daughters could no longer even come to the low country for a visit. In this introspective epistle from “his lonely couch,” he expressed his worries to Eliza:    

From a letter dated Wednesday, April 1, 1863, Charleston, Henry L. Jeffers to Eliza Ann Jeffers 
The Greatest annoyance and Trouble of all has bin to me Debt - Debt to my fellow man. Oh, the master that is before a man, when he is in debt and how Long he has bin after me. He has Run me from my family, and caused me to separate from them. Oh, the monster - I feel assured that if Every man had the same knowledge of him that I have, he would Run from him and scorn him as he would the monster Horned Elephant in the Lower Regions. Oh, I hope soon to get Rid of this hideous Monster and then go Home and sit down with Eliza, Annie, & Gussie, and it will be almost Like sitting down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacobb.

Eliza Ann Anderson Jeffers 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Debt was an unpleasant part of his business affairs that lasted for years (until after the Civil War, when, like countless others, he went bankrupt and started over). But he lived through all that. And Eliza Ann was ever a comfort to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proverbs 18:22  
Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, 
And obtaineth favour of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment