Post # 22 ~ How Henry L. Jeffers Defended Himself

Defended Himself Against Designing Persons
~ And Never Let a Good Crisis go to Waste ~

Henry Jeffers can be described in many ways: gregarious, loquacious, ambitious, enthusiastic, restless, energetic. Here is my current favorite description: Henry was an Explainer



 When troubles came, he knew that if he could lay it all out there, anyone would see his point of view. He took to the press to defend himself against those who besmirched his good name.

In The Edgefield Advertiser, 1845-10-08, Jeffers explained that a small mistake made in one of his advertisements was being used against him.
I thought it unworthy of further notice at the time, nor should I deem it necessary now, to allude to that advertisement, were it not, that I understand, it has been made use of by some designing persons, for the purpose of trying to prejudice my friends in the country, against me as a Commission Merchant; I therefore feel it due to my friends and myself to give this explanation, which can be substantiated at any time.
I take this opportunity of saying, that I am entirely independent of those who are thus attempting to injure me, as all my acts and dealings are open and above board. To my friends I feel gratified for the very liberal patronage heretofore bestowed upon me, and still offer my services to attend to Selling, Storing or Shipping Cotton, Flour, etc., receiving and forwarding MERCHANDISE, forwarding GOODS, to order; and to any other business that may be committed to my care.
Never one to overlook an opportunity of any kind, Jeffers finished his defense with a flourish, 
...by industry and unceasing attention, I hope to merit and receive their patronage...I am always to be found at my post, ready for business; at the Corner of Cobb & Centre Streets.

Here's the clipping: 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment